Friday, January 10, 2014
Hear the Word

(I wrote this last week and forgot to post it. I'm planning on responding to Brandon soon but not today)

One of my yearly reading goals is to read the entire Bible through from cover to cover. That's in addition to studying certain books (of the Bible) more in-depth. This is something I enjoy doing. And it is without a doubt the most important and rewarding reading I do all year.

Last year, I failed to read the entire Bible, but I spent a lot of time in certain books.

The year before, I read through almost twice.

Years before that were dark ages of trying and failing. With some success. More failures.

This year, I've decided that my goal is to read through the Bible four times (!) before the year is over.

Read should be "read."

Because, really, a lot of that "reading" will be listening.

Audio technology is great in this regard, especially considering that the Bible was written to be read aloud (in community) and HEARD. “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

In the past, I've listened to Alexander Scourby (just picture him as a noir villain while listening) read the KJV.

Yesterday, I was thrilled to find a FREE audio version of the ESV available for download. So far, the reader is excellent. And, of course, the translation is excellent, my favorite modern translation. At the site, you need to sign up for an e-mail newsletter to get the download but the email newsletter is easy to cancel after you've signed up.

It's available as both mp3 and m4b.

Free ESV Hear the Word Audio Bible
Posted by trawlerman at 4:06 AM
Comments: Post a Comment